Your house is one of your biggest investments. It is essential that you take care of it, even when you are not residing there. When you let out your house on rent, the process to maintain it becomes more difficult.
With seepage, also comes the mold and the mildew which is extremely detrimental, not only to your house but also for your health! Left unchecked, mold can literally eat up your house and result in a musty and damp smell pervading it. Apart from wreaking havoc on the house, mold and mildew can result in severe allergies as the spores can be inhaled. If you leave the seepage untreated, it can cost you big later on.
To get a fair understanding of the problem, we first need to understand what molds and mildew are. Belonging to the fungi category, molds and mildew (molds in early stage) can develop on damp surfaces in as little time as 24-48 hours. Then the molds start reproducing through spores in the air which is an additional health hazard. They start feeding on organic materials like wood, wallpapers, carpets and more, gradually digest and destroy them.
If found in time, the damage caused can be limited. To be on the safer side, learn to recognize the early signs of infestation. Water stains are the first tell-tale signs that you need to look for. Damaged flooring or walls are the other indicators of mildew growth. Another sign of water seepage is a stale musty odour that spreads through the house.
It is imperative that you pay good and timely attention to water seepage and mold formation to safeguard your investment. Here are 4 ways to deal with this:
- Prevention is better than cure:
Do regular inspections of areas that can be a potential home for seepage and in turn for the mold. Constant checks will help limit the problem in a nascent stage and it will be easier to get the repair done to prevent excessive damage
For long term mold prevention, de-humidifiers work really well. Keeping the moisture prone areas dehumidified is one of the easiest ways to prevent molding. When the moisture is dispersed from the air, it also cleanses the potential mold and mildew
- Chlorine Bleach Treatment:
Get chlorine bleach treatment done for areas that are infected with seepage and mildew. Effective and easy to do at home, the chlorine and bleach treatment helps in cleaning mild to medium infestations. Just make sure that you provide ample protection to any furniture or accessories in the area of infestation
- Call in the Experts
In case of severe infestation, it is always a good idea to seek professional help. The water seepage and mold can eat away the foundation of walls and ceilings and cause irreparable damage if not controlled in entirety. Hence, the best course of action is to leave it in the hands of the professionals who can take care of the problem from end to end